FIRST COURSE IN MEDICAL HERBALISM
This product contains all the print, audio, herbal materials and supplies necessary to complete the hands-on portions of this course. If you wish to take the course, first purchase the materials, which will include your enrollment form. Then when you are ready, you can select the start date for your course by sending in the enrollment and tuition for faculty support. You can see the full details of this course at https://www.naimh.com/first-course-in-medical-herbalism
This course may be taken stand-alone for 36 hours of Continuing Education credit. It is also the first course in our Foundations in Western Herbalism Certificate program.
You can take the course without purchasing this kit, by purchasing the Digital Download version, but you will need to either obtain your own herbal materials and supplies (See below), or buy these reduced contents of the kit separately here: First Course in Medical Herbalism Resources Kit (herbs and supplies only)
Learn the use of 15 herbs and their combinations for more than 20 common conditions.
Learn six of the most important herbal actions, and several herbs in each category.
Learn the basic principles of vitalist herbalism, relying on the natural healing forces in the body.
Learn how herbs fit into the larger pattern of diet, nutrition, and lifestyle
Learn the basic principles of herbal formulation
Study actual cases of vitalist herbalism in action
Learn the basic principles of safety when using herbs to avoid adverse effects or drug-herb interactions
Learn how to save money by making your own herbal tinctures
This entry-level course for the study of herbal medicine presents the context of the vitalist approach to healing, nutrition and lifestyle, a basic introduction to formulation, with case-based study, You will learn 15 herbs and how to use them to care for more than twenty different conditions. Most important you will learn how to study an herb, which will establish a foundation for effective future learning. This is a project-oriented course, you will taste the herbs, journal their effects, make your own tinctures, devise formulas, and study actual clinical cases. Do not mistake this to be a simplistic introductory course, it contains within it the inspiration, hands-on experience, tools, terms and concepts, and methods of application, and case based learning that many contemporary herbalists missed out on in their own education.
- The course includes activities of making and taking herbal preparations, and the kit provides all the materials necessary. See list below.
- The kit contains herb materials and supplies, 8 lessons in a binder, and the Introduction to Medical Herbalism audio CD-ROM set.
- It includes samples of 15 different herbs as bulk herbs or tinctures, with instructions for making teas and tinctures.
- The 100-page Study Guide includes the 8 lessons of the First Course in Medical Herbalism, with exercises and assignments for each.
- You may purchase the kit as-is for self study.
- For faculty support, graded assignments, and a certificate, additional fees and tuition are required.
- See the full details of this course and tuition at https://www.naimh.com/first-course-in-medical-herbalism
- To enroll in the course, first purchase the kit, and then mail in the enclosed enrollment form.
WE CANNOT SHIP THE KIT OUTSIDE THE US because of customs restrictions on herbal material.
You may purchase all course materials without the herbs and supplies for DIGITAL DOWNLOAD. You may also purchase the herbs and supplies separately First Course in Medical Herbalism Resources Kit (herbs and supplies only). To complete the course with the digital download, you will need to obtain the following herbs for sampling, and the jars and bottles. Depending on your country, we may be able to make adjustments to these herbs.
- Herbal Classics Library
- Folk Remedies Database
Bulk Herbs for tea:
Red clover blossoms
Stinging nettle herb
Lemon balm herb
Herbs in 4 oz. jars, for making tinctures (15 grams each)
3 empty 4-ounce amber dropper bottles for your home-made tinctures.
The bottles are either pre-labeled with blank labels, or the blank labels are included separately in the kit.
1/2 ounce bottle of Siberian ginseng tincture (Russian Pharmacopeia preparation)
1 container of Calendula salve.